To prepare for your advising appointment it is expected that you will do the following before meeting with your advisor:
- Review course offerings on line through Self-Service.
- Be sure you do not have any holds on your account.
- Know if you have completed developmental math and English requirements.
- Determine if you still need prerequisite courses for any course that you plan to take next semester.
- Review “General Education” and elective sheets.
- Prepare a draft of courses that you plan to take next semester.
- Be sure you are comfortable with the courses you select and be aware of the time you will need to study for the course, commute time to get to college, etc.
- Check that you sent all official previous transcripts to SCC for evaluation prior to appointment, if applicable.
Other advisee responsibilities include:
- Communicate effectively.
- Actively participate in the advising experience.
- Ask questions.
- Keep record of plans and progress toward goals.
- Keep important documents.
- Complete recommendations of advisor.
- Gather information needed for decision making.
- Become knowledgeable about college programs.
- Accept responsibility for decisions and actions.
NOTE: We strongly encourage all students to register using the Self-Service Portal.
To register on the correct day by the total number of credits you have earned, returning full-time students in a degree or certificate program are highly encouraged to:
- See a faculty advisor.
- Complete an advising & registration form (during the advising appointment).
- Register on the Self-Service Portal on the correct registration date. Students experiencing technical difficulties should contact the IT Help Desk.
Please contact Student Affairs at 856-351-2716 to schedule an appointment to take the placement test, see an advisor, and receive instructions on how to register using Self-Service.
Please see the list of responsibilities above to prepare for the advising appointment.