To apply for admission, an applicant residing in a country other than the United States must:
- Complete the SCC Admissions Application online.
- Submit official high school and college transcripts. Photocopies are not acceptable. Documents must attest to the student's graduation status. Original credentials must be accompanied by English translations certified through a NACES accredited agency.
- Provide proof of English language comprehension/fluency. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores of 68 (iBT), 190 (CbT) or 520 (paper-based format) are required. Salem Community College does not offer intensive English as a Second Language instruction. TOEFL test scores must be submitted directly from the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to Salem Community College. Photocopies from the student are not acceptable.
- Submit proof of age through copy of birth certificate or passport.
- Provide an Affidavit of Support Form (USCIS Form I-134) completed by the student's sponsor and notarized at a United States Consulate or Embassy. Supporting documentation reflecting a minimum of $16,000 must accompany the affidavit and amounts must be listed in U.S. dollars
- Make a payment of $300 to cover the international student processing fee. This fee is non-refundable.
- Provide a check or money order for $5,000 U.S. drawn on a United States bank or other financial institution made payable to Salem Community College. The money will be deposited into the student's account and will be used to pay a portion of the tuition and fees for the first two semesters.
Upon the receipt of all required material and deposits, an I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigration Student Status) will be processed and mailed to the student. The student will need to take the I-20 and accompanying documentation to the United States Consulate or Embassy to meet with a consular official. The decision to grant an F-1/M-1 student visa is made by the consulate or embassy staff representing the United States Department of State.
Students Admitted under an F-1/M-1 Visa
Must enroll full-time (12 credits or more) and hold at least a 2.0 grade point average each semester in order to maintain good standing. Students failing to do so will have their enrollment ended.
Students Denied an F-1/M-1 Visa
Must write to SCC's Dean of Enrollment Management to request a refund due to visa denial. SCC will refund all tuition, fees only. The $300 international student processing fee is non-refundable.
Students holding a B-1/B-2/Tourist Visa
Are required to return to their home countries if they wish to apply for F-1/M-1 visa status.
Students holding active F-1 Visa at another Institution
International students who wish to transfer to Salem Community College must be in compliance with their student visa requirements, request a transfer release from the other institution, and complete an SCC Transfer-in form and application.
International Student Estimated Cost
The annual estimated cost for an international student is $24,000. This includes tuition, fees, living expenses and off-campus room and board.
Application Deadline for International Students
Fall (September) applicants - July 1
Spring (January) applicants - November 1
For additional information please contact Salem Community College's Certifying Official:
PDSO/Dean of Enrollment Management