fbpx Tuition & Fees | Salem Community College

Tuition & Fees


General Tuition Information

Salem Community College provides affordable, quality and empowering education. Our Student Accounts Office (also referred to as the "Bursar") is responsible for all student financial matters and works in conjunction with the Financial Aid Office. Student Accounts staff are available Monday through Friday 9:00am to 4:00pm during regular hours. During summer hours (June-August), the office is closed on Fridays. The contact information for the office is:

Phone: (856) 351-2606

Email: bursar@salemcc.edu


Payment Plans

Payment plans are available during certain times of the semester. Please contact Student Accounts for more information at 856.351.2606.

Please see your Advisor or the College Catalog for additional details. Refer to the Self-Service Portal for course fees.

Tuition (per credit) FALL 2019 - SUMMER 2020:

County Resident $180.00
Out-of-County Resident $207.00
Out-of-State Resident $232.00
Out-of-County Resident Employed in Salem County
(fill out Employee Verification form)
International Student $232.00
Dual Credit Rates
(Students earning college credit at their high school)
Dual Enrollment Rates (High school Options/Jumpstart)
(Students attending Salem Community College while still in high school)

Program and Registration Fees:

Nursing Fee (per semester) $1500.00
One-Time Glass Fee
(applied toward tuition upon acceptance into the program)
Open Glass Lab Fee (per semester) $250.00
International Student Fee $300.00
Late Registration Fee $25.00
Salem Community College does not charge application, college, tech or registration fees

Testing and Administrative Fees (non-refundable):

Nursing Admission ATI TEAS V $85.00
Accuplacer Scores $5.00
Late Graduation Fee $35.00
College-Level Exam (CLEP) (per test) $85.00
College-Level Exam (CLEP) Service Fee $15.00
Online Proctoring Fee $30.00


Students attending Salem Community College who reside in a country other than Salem may be eligible for in-county tuition rates. Eligibility is dependent upon program of study. All out-of-county students attending Salem Community College are required to complete the following chargeback process, regardless of potential eligibility:


Step One:

Students should submit the following 3 documents to their home county college's Registrar Office or Enrollment Services Office:

  1. Chargeback Certification Form
  2. Copy of your Salem Community College course schedule
  3. Copy of your driver's license
    If you do not have a driver's license you must provide an approved form of identification (example: county photo ID, college photo ID, high school photo ID, passport, etc.)
  4. Proof of Residency (example: utility bill, lease/rental agreement. property tax bill)


Step Two:

If your college denies your chargeback request, return the original chargeback paperwork to Student Accounts at Salem Community College and your chargeback is complete. No monetary adjustments will be made to your account.

Denied chargebacks do not have to be renewed each semester unless your curriculum changes if your college approves your chargeback you must take the approval paperwork to your County Treasurer's Office (NEED LINK) to obtain a completed Residency Verification Form. Return the original Chargeback approval paperwork and the original Residency Verification to Student Accounts at Salem Community College.

Approved chargebacks must be submitted each semester you are registered for courses at Salem Community College.

Refunds and Withdrawals


Students that drop a course before the first day of the semester/session will receive a full refund for tuition and frees. For courses dropped during the add/drop period, there will be a fee of $50 per course with the remaining amount returned to the student.

In the event that a course is canceled by the college, tuition and fees will be fully refunded. No refunds will be issued for students that withdraw after the drop/add period. Students on payment plans must still pay in full after the drop/add period. It is the responsibility of the student to complete the necessary paperwork for course withdrawal.

Students should expect to receive refunds six to eight weeks from the first day of classes.


Tuition Credit Appeal Procedure

Submit required forms to the Dean of Enrollment in Donaghay Hall. The deadline to submit forms is the last day of the semester following the semester for which an appeal is being filed.

  • For all semester appeals: by the last day of the spring semester.
  • For spring semester appeals: by the last day of the summer semester.
  • For summer semester appeals: by the last day of the fall semester.

Appeals are reviewed by the appropriate Dean. Students receive responses in writing to their appeals within two months of submitting all required information. Denied appeals will indicate a reason for the denial. Appeal decisions made by the Dean are final.

In extenuating circumstances, a tuition credit appeal may be considered. In which case, complete an appeal form, available in Student Affairs, and provide documentation to explain mitigating circumstances:


If medical/emergency: The documentation must be dated and include the dates that pertain to the medical/emergency. The documentation must be provided on medical/official letterhead and must be an original unless it is a police report or similar document, wherein the original is maintained by the issuing agency.

If death: The documentation should include an original death certificate, an obituary or funeral program. The relationship to the deceased must be clearly indicated in the documentation or the student statement.

If personal: Documentation must clearly indicate the relationship of the issue to the student's inability to attend classes.

If military: Documentation of summons to active duty and a written statement of special consideration must be provided.


Course Withdrawals

There is only one way to officially withdraw from a course without academic penalty. Students must complete the appropriate withdrawal form in the Office of Enrollment Management and consult with their advisor by the deadline listed in the front of the Student Handbook.

  • Since course withdrawal could affect the time for program completion and student's financial aid, a faculty member signature is required to withdraw from a course after the add/drop period ends.
  • Failure to complete the official form will result in an F or FA grade for those courses.
  • There are no refunds for a course withdrawal and students on the payment plan must pay in full.
  • Students who request to withdraw from a course after the withdrawal deadline and can provide documentation of extenuating circumstances should schedule an appointment to meet with an academic dean in the Office of Academic Affairs for consideration.


Withdrawals and Return of Title IV Funds

Students are required to notify the Financial Aid Office if they withdraw from a class or if there is a change in their class schedule. Students who completely withdraw from all of their courses and are receiving student financial aid (SFA) are subject to having all or part of their financial aid returned to the appropriate financial aid programs. For those students who withdrew prior to 60% of the enrolled period elapsing, a pro-rata schedule is used to determine how much SFA funds were earned at the time of withdrawal. SFA funds must be returned in the following order:

  • Unsubsidized Stafford Loans
  • Subsidized Stafford Loans
  • Federal PLUS Loans
  • Federal Pell Grants
  • Federal Supplement Educational Opportunity Grants
  • State Scholarships

If the aid awarded exceeds the allowable institutional costs (excluding Federal Loan Programs), the unearned portion must be returned to the Student Financial Aid Programs. You may be responsible for any unpaid institutional charges.


Unofficial Withdrawals/Non-passing Grades

An unofficial withdrawal is when official notification of the student ceasing attendance is not provided to the school. For these withdrawals, commonly known as dropouts, the withdrawal date is midpoint of the semester, or the last date of an academically related activity that the student participated in.

If a student who began attendance and has not officially withdrawn fails to earn a passing grade in at least one course offered over an entire period, the institution must assume, for Title IV purposes, that the student has unofficially withdrawn.

For all unofficial withdrawals, a pro-rata schedule is used to determine how much student financial aid funds were earned at the time of the unofficial withdrawal. If the aid awarded exceeds the allowable institutional costs (excluding Federal Stafford Loan Programs), the unearned portion must be returned to the student financial aid programs. You may be responsible for any unpaid institutional charges.