fbpx F.A.Q.'s | Salem Community College


How do I apply for financial aid?

File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at FAFSA.GOV. Our federal school code for the FAFSA is 005461. Make sure you (and your parent, if needed) have a Federal Student Aid I.D. (FSAID). Your FSAID is your electronic signature and access code for various U.S. Department of Education systems.


When should I file my FAFSA?

Apply by May 1 for the full academic year or October 1 if you plan to attend only the Spring term that begins in January. Students who apply on time receive priority consideration for all of the funds we have to offer. Applying late means you will likely miss out on certain funds, and your financial aid may not be ready when you have to pay tuition. If you pay your tuition and you later become eligible for funding you will be reimbursed up to your eligibility amount.


What if I need help with my FAFSA?

Help is available at the Financial Aid office on the main campus. Always bring your and your parents' tax returns (if needed) when you come for help. You may also call the toll-free Federal Student Aid helpline at 1-800-433-3243.

I don't live with my parents, they don't support me and/or they don't claim me on their tax return; can I be considered an independent student?

In order to be considered an independent student, federal regulations state that you must meet at least one of the following criteria:

  • Be at least 24 years of age before January 1 of the academic year for which you are applying.
  • Be an orphan or ward of the court.
  • Have a child/children for whom you provide more than half their financial support.
  • Be a married student.
  • Be a veteran or currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces.
  • Have a legal dependent other than a spouse or child.

The fact that you don't live with your parents, they don't support you or claim you on their taxes, or they don't want to provide their information on the FAFSA does not make you an independent student.

Under certain extenuating circumstances, you can be considered for a dependency override. You will need to complete a Request for Dependency Override form and supply documentation from at least two third-party sources to support your dependency appeal.


My mother and father are divorced. Which parent's income do I use?

You should report information on the FAFSA about the parent you lived with more during the last 12 months. If you did not live with one parent more than the other, you should use the parent who has given you more financial support (including money, gifts, loans, housing, food, clothes, car, etc.) during the most recent year in which support was provided. If the parent whose information is reported has remarried, you must also include the step-parent's income information.


My FAFSA was selected for verification, what does that mean?

Verification is a process where the data reported on your FAFSA is confirmed to be accurate and complete. Applications are randomly selected for the verification process.

  • If selected by the Central Processing Unit (U.S. Department of Education), you must submit all requested income documentation to the Financial Aid Office.
  • If selected by the New Jersey Higher Education Student Assistance Authority (HESAA), you must provide HESAA (Trenton, NJ office) with copies of requested income documentation.
  • If selected by SCC, you must submit all requested income documentation to the Financial Aid Office. Until you submit all the information requested, you will not be considered for aid.


I've submitted all of the documents that you requested, why are you asking me for more documents?

After a thorough review of the information provided, it was determined that we needed additional documents to correctly establish your eligibility for aid.


What is a special circumstance and how do I report it?

Loss of a job or benefits, death in the family, divorce or separation, or extreme medical bills are examples of special circumstances that can change your financial aid eligibility. You will need to complete a Request for Review of Special Circumstances form and provide documentation to the financial aid office.


How can I find out if my tuition has been covered by financial aid?

If you registered for classes, you may check the status of your account online. Log into the SCC Self-Service Portal and click on Payment Due. If there is no payment due, then your tuition has been covered. During business hours, you may call the Student Accounts office at (856) 351-2625.


I applied for financial aid. Why was my schedule dropped for nonpayment?

Applying for financial aid is only the first step to receive an award. You may soon be awarded financial aid, but not until everything is completed and reviewed and you get your SCC Award Letter.


How do I apply for a student loan?

You must first complete the FAFSA application, and submit all required documents to the Financial Aid office. You must then log on to STUDENT LOANS.GOV to complete an Entrance Counseling Session and a Master Promissory Note (MPN). You will also need to complete a Loan Request Form and submit it to the Financial Aid Office.


Can I use my financial aid to purchase books?

Yes, if your financial aid award exceeds the cost of your tuition and fees, you may use the excess funds to purchase books in the SCC bookstore.


Will I receive a refund check?

If your total financial aid awards are greater than the total cost of your tuition, fees and books, you will receive the difference in the form of a refund check.


I heard that if I withdraw from my classes I might need to repay my financial aid, is this true?

Yes. The federal financial aid programs require you to "earn" your aid by attending classes. If you receive federal financial aid and withdraw from all of your classes, your aid "earned" will be prorated based on your class attendance. You may owe a balance to the college after adjustments have been made. You will be notified in writing once an update occurs to your account.


I did not successfully complete (pass) any of my classes, what will happen to my financial aid?

If you never attend, stop attending or receive any combination of "F's", "F/A's", or "W's" for classes, the Office of Financial Aid is required to reduce or cancel your financial aid and may retroactively remove it from your account. You may owe a balance to the college after adjustments have been made. You will be notified in writing once an update occurs to your account.